Friday, December 25, 2020

Jan Garbarek - I Took Up the Runes (1990)

 


There's something very nostalgic about this record. It's kind of reminds me of walking through the park with my grandmother, as a kid. She used to take me downtown Chicago on Sundays to go to this big ass church. After the show, we'd visit the Space Chapel on the 23rd floor, and the usher would always bitch at me about throwing pennies out of the stained-glass windows. He would threaten me with shit like, 'if that penny hits someone on head, it could cut them in half", which naturally only made me want to throw literally handfuls more. 

The point of that story was every time we visited the chapel, I could hear a busker on the corner blowing his own faith into his horn. Every single note floating upwards, towards the heavens and space beyond. I'm not a religious person. I wrestle with it daily. But whenever I hear this record, it reminds me of those simpler times I spent with her, which was a little slice of heaven.  

Happy Holidays if that's your thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment