Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Don Cherry - Brown Rice (1975)


Don was one of the hardest working musicians in the business. He'd play with virtually anyone, on any idea, no matter how far reaching or controversial. This set, and in my opinion his greatest recording, features some of the usual suspects; Frank Lowe on sax, Charlie Haden making an appearance on bass, and Billy Higgins holding down the drums.  The direction on this recording touches on jazz fusion and world styles, all wrapped neatly together in 4 tracks. Sometimes its very pensive, and almost meditative. Other times all you want to do is shake your ass. I believe this record represents all of the influence of his career for the last 25+ years. There are a few moments on this recording that remind me of another great trip. I enjoy this record the most when I'm walking on a brisk day through the crowded streets of downtown Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment