Sunday, January 24, 2021

Noah Howard - The Black Ark (1969)

 

Way back in the day I used to go to this place in Evanston Illinois, called Pick-a-Cup Coffee Club on Friday nights, without fail. The baristas and I would proceed to get overly caffeinated and completely stoned out of our skulls, because at 7 PM on the dot, about 20+ musicians would get into a circle and blastoff into outer space. Despite the array of drums, percussion instruments, sometimes saxophones, etc... this group was so tight they could start and stop on a drop. Howard's 3rd recording as a leader takes me back there, every time I put it on. There's cacophonous moments, but as soon as Howard blows a phrase order comes back and the band is in sync again. Damn I miss that place. Pour yourself a cup of tea/coffee and feel the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment